Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on he earth.” Genesis 1:26
God created every individual in all race in His own image and likeness. Racism deny that reality. His will is then man may have control of the things created. However colonialism came and say no to that. Years back Apartheid brought misery to our parents and life was lost due to the skin color issue. That is sinful and can’t be tolerated. On papers all these three evil deeds are said to be done with, however reality denotes otherwise, racism I still there. People’s hearts are still wicked as it always has been. ( Jeremiah 17:9). When I ask several of my friends that “what do you think is the cause of poverty in Africa?” They mostly blame racism,apartheid and colonialism. Is that really the primary cause? I think there is more to it than that, below I will give you several reasons why we have poverty in Africa. My pastor, Paul Schlehlein wrote his 14 reasons for poverty i Africa (see in betweentwocultures.com). However here I will look on it in a different angel.
Reasons for poverty in Africa
- Corruption. We have big government which is corrupt and self sufficiency. Leaders are elected to lead the country by these poor people but when they are in leadership, they opress and rule unmamely. Zimbabwe had suffered to many decades under the leadership of one of the most wise people in Africa. But his World view is immoral and arrogant.
- Theft. I am from a rural area where most young people are not working. Because they are underprivileged, they find a living by stealing. Even some who are working steel and if they are caught, they don’t get any safe and life tend to be sower.
- Laziness. People don’t want to work hard. There are some jobs that we as South Africans has named them “Zimbabwean jobs” why, because we are pathetic and lazzy. We want the government to provide for us insted of wprking lanorimg with our hands.
- Imorality. There are a huge number of single parents around us. They have children with different man and no one is ever to provide, protect, lead them well. Marriage is not valued valued everymore.
- Evil heart. Unless our hearts are changed, we will always remain corrup. We wont see work as a blessing. With evil heart, gambling will be a way to our finacial freedom. With evil hearts we will never gove up spending money on things which are not essential for our lives.
Notice I mentioned zero idea leading to poverty in light of apartheid, racism and colonialism. Yes those are evil, however we should take personal rensponsibility and stop blaming those events. We are living in another era. It is on our shoulders to reform Africa to be a continent of Honor. Let’s fight poverty by using the resources God gave us.